Disability Accommodations FAQs

Academic Advising
Students with disabilities are subject to the same process for scheduling advisor appointments as are other students. It is the responsibility of the student to make advisor appointments. If a student believes that his or her disability should be considered while arranging course schedules, that student should disclose the disability to the academic advisor.

Academic Probation/Suspension
Students requiring additional information about appealing academic decisions should contact the Office of Student Affairs.

Accessible Facilities
The college strives to maintain a fully accessible campus to ensure program access. Students who have difficulty accessing classrooms or other campus locations should inform ODA as soon as the problem arises. Courses, programs and activities in rooms that are not accessible to a participating student with a disability will be promptly reassigned to an accessible location.

Accessible Furniture
Accessible furniture, including adjustable tables and desks, should be specifically requested through ODA by the student needing these accommodations. All requests should be made to ODA in advance, with students informing ODA of the classroom location and meeting times. Students must make this furniture request each semester and should inform ODA of any changes in their schedules or in the location of their classes.

Accommodation Problems
Students are expected to maintain contact with the ODA director. If the approved accommodations are not implemented in a satisfactory manner, it is the student's responsibility to inform the ODA director of the problem. As soon as possible, faculty and staff should report to ODA any problems with approved accommodations.

Admission Requirements
Jones County Junior College does not have a separate set of admission criteria for students who have disabilities. Students seeking additional information about the admissions process should contact the Admissions Office.

Alternate Format of Books and Information
Students requiring alternate format to access books, literature, and information must inform ODA in advance of their need, as the college requires a reasonable amount of time to obtain the information in a usable form. Students who request alternate formats of textbooks or reading materials should preregister and inform ODA of their schedule.

Delaying Due Dates
Students are expected to carefully study the syllabus for each course at the beginning of the semester and use good time management and study skills to avoid requests for delays. Requests for delaying due dates for course projects or papers will be evaluated on a case by case basis, and only if the disability warrants the accommodation. However, there is no guarantee that due dates can be delayed. For consideration of such a request, students may be asked to obtain written information from a qualified health care provider supporting the request. In considering the request for delaying papers or projects due dates, input from the instructor or head of the academic department is taken into account. When flexibility is given, it is done in a reasonable manner with a limit on the time extension granted.

Exam Modifications
Accommodations involving exam modifications include, but are not limited to, extended test-taking time, use of assistive technology, minimal distraction testing environment, oral examinations, or the use of readers and scribes. Students must follow the ODA's Procedures for Obtaining Exam Accommodations.

Excused Absences
JCJC has an attendance policy stated in the Student Handbook, as well as the JCJC Course Catalog. Students with chronic illnesses can request flexibility in attendance; however, ODA cannot demand that instructors excuse illness related absences. When attendance is considered an essential part of a course, flexibility of the attendance policy can be denied. To determine if attendance is necessary, the following may be considered:

  • Is the class participatory or interactive?
  • Is participation part of the grade?
  • Is in-class work assigned and due before the end of the class period?
  • Is group work integral to the class?

Requests for excused absences are handled on a case by case basis and students may be asked to provide written information from a qualified health care provider explaining the absence. In considering the request for excused absences, ODA may seek input from the instructor or head of the academic department. When flexibility is granted, it is done for only a reasonable number of absences. If absences occur on days of quizzes or exams, the exam make-up policy will apply.

Students likely to have disability related absences can ask ODA to include a statement in their accommodation letters alerting instructors of this possibility. By doing this at the start of a semester or before an absence, instructors are advised that a legitimate, disability-related reason may cause the student to miss class.

The Office of Student Affairs can also verify absences.

Funding Opportunities

Students with disabilities who may require additional funding or support sources in order to attend school are encouraged to investigate the options below.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Qualifies students for pell grants, student loans, and work study

Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG)

Jones County Junior College Scholarships

Academic Scholarships
Service Scholarships - Awarded through departments i.e. band, art, sports
Foundations Scholarships

Vocational Rehabilitation/Rehabilitation Services is a federal/state program which provides individualized support services and funding to qualified people with disabilities in order to assist them in becoming self-sufficient and self-supporting. Interested students should contact the Office of Rehabilitation Services for information regarding criteria and the application process or can visit the Mississippi Department of Rehabilitation Services' Web site at www.mdrs.state.ms.us. Students may contact the Vocational Rehabilitation office in Laurel, Miss at 601-649-6100 or they may contact their state office.

The World Wide Web offers countless opportunities to research possible funding sources. A good place to start is the DO-IT Web site at:

Handicap Parking
Students with handicap parking placards or tags may park in any campus handicap parking space or legal parking space, excluding fire lanes, no parking zones, reserved parking areas, service zones, and in front of handicap curb cuts.
All students parking on campus, including those who use handicap placards or tags, must obtain a parking decal.

High School and College Differences
Due to the differences in the disability laws that govern high school and college, students entering college should not expect to receive the same accommodations or assistance that they experienced in high school. In high school, education is a right that must be provided to all students in appropriate environments. However, in the college setting, it is not. To gain entry into college, students must meet the school's admission criteria. High school districts are responsible for identifying students' disabilities, providing free testing and evaluations along with offering transportation to the educational programs, whereas, colleges are not required to give this assistance.
For more information on the differences between college and high school, visit mississippi.edu

Housing Accommodations
Physically accessible housing facilities for students with disabilities are available at JCJC. Students with special needs for housing should identify and request these needs on their housing application.

Applications to JCJC housing are processed by date of receipt of the housing application and receipt of application fees. Therefore, it is important to submit the housing application prior to or by the priority deadline as stated on the housing application. Submission of a housing application does not guarantee on-campus housing. Room or housing assignments are based on space availability.

Contact JCJC's housing dept

IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) or 504 Plan

While an IEP or a 504 Plan from a student's high school can be helpful in showing what accommodations a student received in the past, it is not sufficient documentation to determine a student's eligibility for accommodations at the college level. For more information on documentation required to verify disability status, please refer to the documentation guidelines.

Upon request, interpreting services are provided for students with supporting documentation.

Note-takers are usually student volunteers enrolled in the same class section as the student requiring a note-taker. A student requesting a note-taker must follow the ODA's Procedures for Obtaining Note-Takers.

Personal Care Attendants
The college does not provide personal care attendants (PCAs) for students. Locating and compensating the PCAs are responsibilities of the student, unless the student also receives services from Vocational Rehabilitation, who may choose to cover PCA services.

Personal Services
Institutions are not required to provide services of a personal nature such as personal attendants, individually prescribed devices (eye glasses, wheelchairs, hearing aids), transportation, or readers/tutors for personal use or study.

When granted by the ODA, the student may have a reader for exams, or other assignments. The reader's role is to read, not to tutor. Students requesting readers must provide ODA with advance notice. If not, ODA cannot promise to locate a reader.

Transportation is not an accommodation mandated under 504/ADA unless it is provided to all students. Transportation on campus is a personal responsibility. Students with mobility problems are encouraged to visit the campus before classes begin to assess their ability to move across campus. In some instances, students may need to explore the option of acquiring a motorized chair or scooter, or arranging for a friend or personal care attendant to assist them. Students with mobility problems are also encouraged to schedule free periods between classes to allow travel time or to schedule their back-to-back classes in buildings located in close proximity to each other. In the event of an emergency, assistance may be provided by campus police by calling 601-477-4006.

Tutoring is not an accommodation mandated under 504/ADA. However, tutoring is available for students through the Student Success Center. Some academic departments may also provide tutoring services. ODA is willing to act as a liaison with the faculty and campus organizations to assist students in locating a tutor. However, the student is responsible for compensating the tutor, unless the student also receives services from Vocational Rehabilitation. On occasion, Vocational Rehabilitation has paid for tutoring services.