General Frequently Asked Questions

Grant Frequently Asked Questions

Loan Frequently Asked Questions

What is the school code?

What are the Financial Aid Office hours?
Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
*Excluding School Holidays*

What is the priority date?
Most institutions establish a financial aid priority date. This is the date by which all required paperwork must be submitted to the Jones FAO. Paperwork submitted after this date may not be completed by the beginning of the semester.

When is the priority date?
At Jones College, the priority date is usually April 1 of each year.

When can students charge at the bookstore?
Students who have been awarded financial aid and scholarships can begin charging at the bookstore the first day of regular registration of each semester. However, the financial aid award must exceed account balances to charge at the bookstore.

How can students determine if a credit (money) is on their ID card to charge at the bookstore?
If students have been awarded financial aid and have pre-registered for classes, credit (money) should be on the ID card (if the financial aid award exceeds the account balance).

Can students who have not been awarded financial aid charge at the bookstore?
Students who have submitted all required paperwork to the FAO, but have not been awarded, may purchase books at the bookstore with their student id card or a bookstore voucher (See a FAO Counselor for details). This is contingent upon submitting all required documentation to the FAO, having a valid SAR, and having met admission requirements. Contact the FAO beginning the week of regular registration of each semester. Estimated financial aid amounts are subject to change.  Students are responsible for all charges incurred if a balance remains after aid is posted.

Who is eligible to apply for financial aid?
All students are encouraged to apply. For federal programs students must:

  • Enroll in an eligible program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED.  Beginning July 2012, first time ATB students are not eligible for financial aid.
  • Not be in default on any loan nor owe repayment on grants previously received from any college.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  • Demonstrate financial need (except for Unsubsidized Direct and PLUS loans).
  • Maintain the standards of satisfactory academic progress.

What are the chances of students receiving financial aid?
The only way to determine students' eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The likelihood of receiving some form of financial assistance is probably better than most students and their families anticipate.

Can students receive federal financial aid as a part-time student?
Yes, if determined to be eligible based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC), cost of attendance (COA), and the number of hours enrolled.

Do students need a certain grade point average to receive financial aid?
Yes, students must comply with the Jones College financial aid policy regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress. However, some scholarships and grants may require a higher GPA.

If students have a bachelor's degree, can financial aid still be awarded?
Students with a Bachelor's Degree are not eligible for Pell Grant. However, a student loan may be processed for students who have never been in default. Apply for the FAFSA, complete an appeal form, and fill out a loan application. Appeal forms can be printed from the website or contact the FAO. Completing an appeal does not guarantee approval of aid.

Can students receive aid if on financial aid warning?
Yes, if eligible, students can receive all types of financial aid.

Can students receive aid if on financial aid suspension?
No, students cannot receive any need-based financial aid.

Do students have to be full-time to receive institutional or state aid?
Yes, for certain types of aid, such as scholarships and state grants, students have to be enrolled in 15 hours or more.

What happens if students drop a class?
If students drop classes prior to the census date, they may be responsible for repayment of the difference between the amount of money received and the amount specified for the new enrollment status.

What is the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?
FERPA is a federal law that protects the rights of privacy and confidentiality of student records. Federal regulations prohibit the disclosure of a student's financial aid information to anyone other than the student without the student's written permission.

How can parent(s)/guardian(s) acquire information about student's financial aid status?
Due to FERPA regulations, the FAO is limited to the amount of information that can be released. Students can check financial aid status through the JCPortal and relay the information to the parent(s)/guardian. The FAO strongly suggest that students access accounts via the JCPortal, and if further questions exist, then contact the FAO.

What expenses can students expect financial aid to cover?
Depending on the financial aid award, it may cover all or part of the following: tuition/fees, books/supplies, transportation, personal, school, and miscellaneous expenses if authorized.

Will financial aid transfer from one school to another school?
No, financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

Transferring to Jones:
If the FAFSA for the current school year has already been submitted, do not submit another FAFSA. Add JCJC to the list of schools on the FAFSA. JCJC's Federal School Code is 002411.
Cancel all financial aid at the other school previously planned to attend, and then be awarded at JCJC, if eligible.

If students live with other relatives (aunt, uncle, grandparent, etc….), should the relative's income be reported instead of parental information?
The relative's income should only be included if the relative is the adoptive parent. Dependent students can be considered dependent only on their biological/adoptive parents and must report only parental information on the FAFSA.

Is there a limit to the number of pell grants students can receive?
Yes, federal regulations now limit pell grants to 12 semesters.