OneCard FAQ's

What do I do if I lost my OneCard?
Deactivate your lost or stolen card on your by contacting the OneCard Office at (601) 477-4035 during business hours. The JCJC OneCard Office hours are 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Thursday and 7:30 AM through 4:00 PM on Friday (holidays not included). Cardholders with an active Money Network account should also call 800-822-4283 to report the card lost or stolen. The replacement fee for a lost, stolen, or damaged card is $40.

How do I check my Bobcat Bucks Balance?
You can check your Bobcats Bucks balance by logging into your eAccount using your myJones username and password.

How can I transfer financial aid to Bobcat Bucks?
Complete a Bobcat Bucks Transfer form HERE. If approved, transfers are processed the following business day by 4 PM.

How can I make a deposit to Bobcat Bucks?
You can make a deposit online by logging into your eAccount using your myJones username and password.  All major credit cards are accepted.  You can also make a deposit in person at the Business Office. 

Where can I use Bobcat Bucks?
You may use Bobcat Bucks on campus and at many locations in Ellisville, Laurel, and Sandersville. See our web page for a list of Locations.

Can I withdraw cash from Bobcat Bucks?
No, you may not withdraw cash from Bobcat Bucks. However, your Bobcat Bucks will remain on your card each semester that you are a student.  Your Bucks are refundable at the end of each semester. Refunds will not be processed for less that $25. Refund requests must be submitted in writing in the OneCard office at the end of the semester.